International Visiting Scholars Program: Department Expectations
CCAS requires departmental submission of the visiting scholar's information (all in English) in the specified order:
- Completed International Visiting Scholars Application form
- Completed Teaching or Research Project Proposal
- Current CV
- Demonstration of English Proficiency
- One Letter of Recommendation
- Proof of Personal Health Insurance Coverage
- Proof of Funding
- Department Routing Sheet (PDF)
In compliance with federal regulations governing the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program, the department must certify that, to the best of their knowledge, the information contained in the application is true and accurate. Furthermore, they certify:
1) That the individual’s program of research/teaching is consistent with his/her professional background and experience; and
2) That he/she has sufficient proficiency in the English language to participate fully in the program and function on a day-to-day basis in the United States.
As the University sponsor of the scholar, they agree that they will:
1) Ensure that the scholar attends the mandatory orientation;
2) Ensure that the scholar’s activities at GW are consistent with their listed DS2019 objectives;
3) Monitor the progress and welfare of the scholar, providing any assistance/advice needed to facilitate the successful completion of the program;
4) Ensure that the scholar obtains and maintains personal health insurance coverage for the duration of their J-1 program;
5) Notify CCAS Global of any changes in the scholar’s program including employment or payment not listed on the scholar’s DS-2019; and
6) Notify CCAS Global in writing when the scholar has completed or withdrawn from the program prior to the ending date on his/her DS-2019;
7) Notify OGS of events that could endanger the health, safety, or welfare of an exchange visitor or otherwise could be expected to bring the Department of State, the Exchange Visitor Program, or the sponsor's exchange visitor program into notoriety or disrepute. This includes but is not limited to death, serious injury, hospitalization of 48 hours or more, missing, litigation, arrest, or abuse.
Please direct any questions or concerns to [email protected].