Program Completion - Certificate Students
To complete your program, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- You must be registered in the semester in which you are intending to complete your program (you cannot be registered for a Leave of Absence)
- You must have applied to graduate for the semester in which you intend to complete your program
- You must have met the minimum degree GPA requirement for your program (for most programs this is 3.0)
- You must have completed all of your program requirements so that your DegreeMAP record shows 100% completion.
- How to Apply to Graduate
- Process After Applying to Graduate
- Attending Celebration and Commencement
- Proof of Certificate Conferral
- If you did not Receive your Certificate in the Mail
How to Apply to Graduate
- Register for courses in the semester in which you intend to complete your program requirements.
- Apply to graduate in GWeb for the semester in which you will be completing your program requirements by the application deadline. (If you will be completing your program requirements in summer, be sure to apply to graduate for the summer term.)
Please note: A hold on your account might prevent you from applying to graduate. If you will be unable to resolve the hold by the application deadline, contact the CCAS Office of Graduate Studies at [email protected] for assistance.
Process After Applying to Graduate
- Review your Diploma Address in GWeb. If you need to make any changes to your Diploma Address or name after you apply to graduate, please refer to the Office of the Registrar’s Diplomas and Certificates page.
- Successfully complete your final semester at GW. Missing or Incomplete grades will make you ineligible for graduation.
- Verify that there are no holds on your student account. If there is a hold on your account, the mailing of your certificate may be delayed or denied.
- Your Department will notify the CCAS Dean’s Office that you have fulfilled all the program requirements for the certificate.
- CCAS will verify that you have satisfied all College requirements for the degree.
- If you have successfully completed all program requirements, the Office of the Registrar will send you an email confirming that your application to graduate has been approved and that your certificate will be awarded. (If your application to graduate cannot be approved because you will not be completing all program requirements in the semester you intended to graduate, the Office of the Registrar will notify you by email. You will need to reapply to graduate for the following semester or summer term.)
- After the certificate conferral date has passed, the Office of the Registrar will mail your certificate to the Diploma Address on file. Please refer to the Diplomas and Certificates page for the expected arrival time of certificates.
Attending Celebration and Commencement
Proof of Certificate Conferral
After your certificate has been conferred, you can request the Office of the Registrar to issue a letter certifying that your certificate has been awarded from their Certifications page. It is also possible to order an official transcript or purchase a Certified Electronic Credential through GWeb. Please wait until after your certificate has been conferred before making a request or purchase.
If you did not Receive your Certificate in the Mail
Please refer to the Office of the Registrar’s Graduation FAQs page for more details.