Welcome to the College of Arts & Sciences.
On behalf of the administration, we welcome you and congratulate you on your decision to pursue scholarly and intellectual development in the Columbian College of Arts & Sciences at the George Washington University.
Our university's prime location in Washington D.C. provides scholars with rich opportunities to engage all the government agencies, institutions, foreign embassies, and intellectual communities located in the U.S. Nation's capital.
As the first step, you will receive a formal invitation letter from the college, securing your spot here at GW. Next, all scholars should be in the process of securing their J-1 visa by filling out their DS2019 paperwork online for the Department of State. After, we request you submit your proof of funding to the college. More details regarding these processes will be posted soon.
Services Offered to Scholars
The IVSP offers the opportunity to interact with GW faculty and students, introduction to experts at national and international organizations and institutions in the Washington, D.C. area and a unique opportunity to create a network of colleagues from all over the world through engagement in research utilizing the multitude of resources in the Nation’s Capital, such as:
- A GW university email account
- A GWorld Card (GW identification card)
- Access to The George Washington University Library
- Assigned faculty mentor to support scholar’s research (during the academic year)
Extensions & Renewals
Current Visiting Scholars who wish to apply for extension or renewal, please complete this application form.
Any questions can be sent to the CCAS Global Initiatives Team at [email protected].
Campus Access for Visiting Scholars
As we prepare to return to an in-person academic experience in Fall 2021, GW requires students, faculty, staff and visitors who are on campus to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless they receive an approved exemption. Visitors will be required to abide by the university’s COVID-related health and safety protocols, as applicable.
Upon your acceptance as a visiting scholar to CCAS, please begin the following process to ensure you have campus access when you arrive at GW, and direct any questions to [email protected].
1. Coordinate with your sponsoring Department to set up your NetID and GWID.
2. Once your NetID is set up, use it to login to myCHC.
3. To obtain clearance to come to campus, upload your proof of vaccination in myCHC and schedule your on-campus COVID-19 test. You may check out these GW vaccine options. The vaccination record and negative on-campus COVID-test should both show up in the medical portal in order for you to be cleared to come to campus.
4. Once you obtain clearance, visit the GWorld Card Office with your government ID to get your GWorld Card issued, which will provide you tap access to GW facilities.
If you require further assistance with campus access, please submit your request to the Campus Assistance Portal.
Please direct all questions regarding the mandatory oral presentation and written report of your research to Shule Chen ([email protected]), which is due prior to the end of your term.
Meet our Current Scholars
List of AY19 -20 Current Visiting Scholars available here.