Official Transcript Requirements

We require official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended, regardless of whether you completed your degree program or credit appears as transfer credit on another transcript. A transcript is official when it has been mailed directly to us from your institution; or, if the transcript has been mailed to you, it remains sealed (closed) in the original envelope provided by the institution. A transcript that has been opened is automatically considered unofficial; this includes e-transcripts that you receive and upload yourself to your application, or forward by email to us. We will not accept as official a transcript if the envelope has been opened or if it is emailed to us by the student. We also accept transcripts sent via a secure e-scrip delivery service to [email protected]. An email from a school representative is not secure, and is not acceptable as official.

Please note:

  • All official credentials such as transcripts, marksheets, and degree certificates become property of the George Washington University once they have been submitted and will not be returned to the student or the issuing institution. Failure to provide any of the required official documents will result in a hold being placed on your account, which will prevent you from registering for courses, paying your tuition bill, etc.
  • The checklist in your application portal does not track the receipt of official versus non-official documents. If you are uncertain which of your official documents are missing, please email [email protected] to inquire.
  • Bachelor degree transcripts must be both official and final. Please do not have your official transcript sent until after your school has posted the degree awarded date on the document, otherwise you will have to resend your transcript.
  • If you studied internationally, you may need to submit additional official documentation with your transcripts. See the International Transcript Requirements section below.
  • Students who attended GW previously are not required to provide an official GW transcript.

Sending in Your Transcripts

All official transcripts should arrive no later than the start of the semester. 


Paper Mail

If mailing your transcripts please send them to:

George Washington University
CCAS Office of Graduate Studies
Phillips Hall, Suite 107
801 22nd Street, NW
Washington, DC 20052



We also accept transcripts sent via a secure e-scrip delivery service to [email protected]. An email from a school representative is not secure, and is not acceptable as official.


Hand Delivery

If hand delivering your transcripts in their original unopened envelope(s), please deliver to the CCAS Graduate Student Services office in Smith Hall 118.

International Transcript Requirements

If you studied internationally, you may need to provide supplemental documentation with your transcript.

You must submit all official documents listed for the country where you earned your undergraduate degree. You may mail the documents to the Columbian College Office of Graduate Studies or deliver them in person in a sealed (closed) envelope after you arrive in the U.S.

Unless otherwise specified, all of the documents you submit must be:

  • Official (printed and issued by your undergraduate institution);
  • Original (no photocopies or scans);
  • Translated into English, if applicable. Please submit both the original document and the translation.

Official Documentation Requirements by Country

Transcripts from some countries must be submitted with additional documentation. If you have questions about document requirements for a country that is not listed, please contact us at [email protected].

Bologna Process Member Countries
The European Higher Education Area maintains a list of current Bologna Process participants.

  • Official transcript and
  • Diploma Supplement (in English)

For institutions in the UK, please continue reading.


  • Official transcript (Historico Escolar) and
  • Certified copy of Diploma or Certificate of Conclusion


  • Official Transcript (must indicate that the degree was conferred/awarded)
  • Note: Transcripts from institutions in French provinces such as Québec must be supplied in both French and English.



  • Attested copy of Diploma or Provisional Certificate and
  • Attested copy of Official Transcript.


  • Official (university-issued) copy of Final Transcript and
  • Official (university-issued) copy of Diploma and
  • Official translations of Final Transcript and Diploma authorized by the Ministry of Justice


  • Official Transcript and
  • Certified copy of Degree Certificate


  • Official, certified, or attested copy of Diploma and
  • Official, certified, or attested copy of Addendum to Diploma

Saudi Arabia, South Korea

  • Official Transcript (must indicate that the final degree was conferred/awarded)

United Kingdom

  • For institutions that follow the Bologna process, see Bologna process requirements.
  • For other institutions, a Transcript of Academic Records/Higher Education Achievement Report (HEAR) is required. This is an official document issued by the institution that awarded your degree that lists all subjects or modules taken and grades earned for each year of study. If your institution sends a diploma supplement instead of an academic transcript/HEAR, then a copy of your certificate will also be required.