We require official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended, regardless of whether you completed your degree program or credit appears as transfer credit on another transcript. A transcript is official when it has been mailed directly to us from your institution; or, if the transcript has been mailed to you, it remains sealed (closed) in the original envelope provided by the institution. We will not accept a transcript if the envelope has been opened. We also accept transcripts sent via a secure e-scrip delivery service to [email protected]. An email from a school representative is not secure, and is not acceptable as official.
Please note the following:
- The checklist in your application portal does not track the receipt of official versus non-official documents. If you are uncertain which of your official documents are missing, please email [email protected] to inquire.
- Bachelor degree transcripts must be both official and final. Please do not have your official transcript sent until after your school has posted the degree awarded date on the document, otherwise you will have a resend your transcript.
- If you studied internationally, you may need to submit additional official documentation with their transcripts. See the International Transcript Requirements section below.
- Students who attended GW previously are not required to provide an official GW transcript.
If mailing your transcripts please send them to the address below:
The George Washington University
Columbian College of Arts and Sciences
Phillips Hall, Room 215
801 22nd Street, NW
Washington, DC 20052
All official transcripts should arrive no later than the start of the semester.
If you studied internationally, you may need to provide supplemental documentation with your transcript.
You must submit all official documents listed for the country where you earned your undergraduate degree. You may mail the documents to the Columbian College Office of Graduate Studies or deliver them in person in a sealed (closed) envelope after you arrive in the U.S.
Unless otherwise specified, all of the documents you submit must be:
- Official (printed and issued by your undergraduate institution);
- Original (no photocopies or scans);
- Translated into English, if applicable. Please submit both the original document and the translation.
Official Documentation Requirements by Country
Transcripts from some countries must be submitted with additional documentation. If you have questions about document requirements for a country that is not listed, please contact us at [email protected].
Bologna Process Member Countries
The European Higher Education Area maintains a list of current Bologna Process participants.
- Official transcript and
- Diploma Supplement (in English)
- Official transcript (Historico Escolar) and
- Certified copy of Diploma or Certificate of Conclusion
- Official Transcript (must indicate that the degree was conferred/awarded)
- Note: Transcripts from institutions in French provinces such as Québec must be supplied in both French and English.
- Official final transcripts in Chinese and in English.
- Verification report of your degree certificate from China Academic Degrees and Graduate Education Development Center (CDGDC).
- Attested copy of Diploma or Provisional Certificate and
- Attested copy of Official Transcript or Mark Sheet. Consolidated mark sheets are not acceptable.
- Official (university-issued) copy of Final Transcript and
- Official (university-issued) copy of Diploma and
- Official translations of Final Transcript and Diploma authorized by the Ministry of Justice
- Official Transcript and
- Certified copy of Degree Certificate
- Official, certified, or attested copy of Diploma and
- Official, certified, or attested copy of Addendum to Diploma
Saudi Arabia, South Korea, and United Kingdom
Official Transcript (must indicate that the final degree was conferred/awarded)