Incomplete Grades "I"

Students are expected to complete all coursework by the end of the semester or summer term in which a course is taken. In special circumstances, an instructor may grant a student permission to delay submission of work after the course ends by allowing them to take an Incomplete and recording the symbol of I in the student's academic record. This decision is entirely at the discretion of the faculty member teaching the course.

When requesting an Incomplete in a course, students must fill out an Incomplete Contract and have it signed by their course instructor and director of graduate studies (DGS). CCAS expects all graduate coursework to be completed within one semester. Your instructor may specify a shorter or longer deadline, not to exceed one calendar year. If your instructor sets a deadline that exceeds one semester, your program's DGS must submit a copy of your signed Incomplete Contract to the CCAS Office of Graduate Studies.

To be granted an Incomplete, students must provide a satisfactory explanation to their instructor for their inability to complete the required coursework for reasons beyond their control and a plan for completing the remaining coursework in a timely manner. The conditions of the Incomplete must be detailed in a formal contract signed by the student and the instructor and submitted to the department prior to recording the Incomplete. Students may request an Incomplete only if their prior performance and class attendance in the course have been satisfactory. If a student fails to request an Incomplete by the date when grades must be turned in, the student’s work will be graded based on work completed up to that date.

If a student does not complete the required coursework by the deadline specified in their Incomplete Contract, or by the end of the following semester if no date is specified, then the Incomplete will convert to a grade of F and will appear on the student's transcript as F. (If a student withdraws from their graduate program before completing an Incomplete course, the symbol I will be replaced with the symbol W on their transcript.)