CCAS Per Diem Policy

As part of our efforts to minimize administrative burden for travel related paperwork, CCAS is pleased to announce a new policy for per diem requests for non-grant related international travel.

Under the current GW Travel Policy, the university does not use per diem except in exceptional cases (i.e., travel to countries lacking stable currencies where credit card usage is not favored, extended stays, or other special circumstances) for which approval by an appropriate vice president or designee is required prior to travel.  Per diem requests on all sponsored project travel must be submitted to the OVPR Director of Sponsored Projects prior to travel. 

Consistent with the GW policy and complementary to the OVPR policy for grant-related international travel, CCAS will consider per diem requests for non-grant related international travels. Those requests must be submitted to the CCAS Finance Director prior to travel at The following should be kept in mind when submitting the request.

  • Per diem requests will be considered for international travel in exceptional cases, such as travel to locations where receipts are difficult to obtain, or extended travel of 14 days or longer for which collecting / submitting receipts becomes labor intensive.
  • Per diem requests are for meals and incidentals expenses (M&IE) only.  Actual detailed receipts are required for all lodging and transportation expenses.
  • Per diem requests should not exceed the M&IE rate determined by the US Department of State.  The approved amount will depend on the availability of funds.  The College will not increase the amount budgeted to travel to support a per diem payment.
  • Per diem amounts for the first and last day of the trip are reimbursed at 75% of the M&IE rate applicable to the business destination city. The location where lodging is obtained for the first and last night determine the rate for the departure and return days, respectively.
  • For travel lasting more than 30 days, per diem requests will be considered for up to 50% of the M&IE rate.
  • When meals are included elsewhere, e.g. in a conference registration fee or as part of lodging expenses, the per diem should be reduced by the appropriate amount for that specific meal in the expense report.
  • When a cash advance is needed, up to 50% of the estimated per diem may be requested along with the per diem request. An after-travel expense true up would be required to clear the advance and to account for any provided meal adjustments or changes in travel plans.
  • When submitting the expense report, the traveler should provide the overall business purpose (who, what, where, when, why) for the travel and the details of the requested amount for each day in the CCAS Expense Tracking Form. The documented travel per diem approval must be attached to the traveler's expense report in the GW iBuy+ Expense Reporting system at the time of submission.

When submitting the per diem request, the following information must be included:

  1. Traveler: name and department.
  2. Travel Plan: Inclusive dates of travel and travel destination(s) 
  3. Estimated cost of the per diem, with a justification for the per diem request. 
  4. Source of funding for the travel.

Updated June 2017