The OTS Helpdesk provides web-based and in-person technical support. Support requests are prioritized and assigned to our helpdesk technicians based on request date, type, and urgency. Our staff works to minimize queue time and to effectively communicate estimated resolution times.
Before submitting a support request, please review our general support guidelines.
- OTS primarily supports Apple and Dell laptop and desktop computers. Our oldest supported models are Intel-based Macs running Mac OS 10.5 and Dell Optiplex 745s running Windows XP. We advise all departments using older computers to upgrade their equipment. If your computer is below these standards, please contact us as we may have spare (used) machines in storage.
- OTS does not support any operating system prior to Windows XP or Mac OS X 10.5. Specifically, we do not support Windows ME, Windows 98, Windows 95, Windows 3.1, Mac OS X 10.3, Mac OS X 10.2, Mac OS X 10.1, and Mac OS 9 or Mac Classic. We do not support Linux systems (Ubuntu, OpenSUSE, Fedora, etc.).
- OTS installs and troubleshoots many common productivity and multimedia applications, including Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, and Firefox. While we can provide support for general functionality, we do not provide training or support for advanced functionality of these applications. The Division of Information Technology provides web-based and instructor-led training on commonly used applications. Please visit http://gwu.skillport.com for more information.
The primary support objective for all Columbian faculty and staff is to ensure that individuals are able to perform their job functions regardless of any technology issue. Our response to emergency issues may consist of a remote-desktop (screen-sharing) session, a rapid on-site support response, or by providing a temporary workstation.
Emergency support will be provided when one of the following criteria is met:
- Your computer will not power on, or start the operating system.
- Your computer is unable to access the Internet/network.
- You have locked yourself out of your user account and are unable to log into your computer.
- Other situations that dramatically disrupt regular university activities.
During normal business hours (8:30AM - 5:30PM), emergency support requests should be submitted by phone at 202-994-8096. When submitting requests after hours, please submit your request using our on-line ticketing system. Please be prepared to give your name, GW email address (NetID), phone number, and room location.